Thursday 4 November 2010

New Music- KINGS OF LEON

Kings of Leon's latest album has just come out and it is causing quite a stir in the music industry as they seem to have gone back to their country-rock roots and have moved away from their more anthemic and commercial album "Only by the night". Personally I am glad that they have done this and I think that the idea of them reconnecting with their Southern roots and music is a plus point as, although clearly brilliant and accomplished their last album was rootless and they seemed to have given up on their origin in pursuit of the fame and recognition that they deserved. However, it isn't only a country-rock album, I would like to applaud the albums sheer musical diversity ranging from gospel, angular post-punk, bonafide country to 50's style songs. This shows me the band hasn't lost it's restless, experimental edge and that is what makes them such an exciting band.
The reason this album entices me so much is that I discovered KOL when they where a weird, but clearly genius, american country rock band with a twist which had indecipherable lyrics and odd looks and I feel that they have finally come back to their early days. The early days which, I must add, really made me fall in love with KOL.

Kings-Of-Leon-310.jpg


However I have merely stated my own opinion and I must add that not everyone agrees with my view. One detractor from the album is Luke Lewis from NME who classifies the album as, "jettisoning innovation and emotion". I believe that this is a very harsh opinion but I respect and I have included his review for you all to read.
Finally I want you to get a taste for the latest sample of KOL genius so I have included one of the best songs on the newest album:


So what do you think of the new album? Who do you agree with? Do you prefer "Use somebody" to this newest album? Do you think that it is a good or a bad thing that they are trying to reconnect with their roots?
And most importantly do you even like or know about Kings of Leon?

3 comments:

  1. I don't know much this music group but i've heard of them. I am commenting to congratulate this group. Personally I hate commercial groups, I can't stand them. Music has to be played for fun and for transmitting others what you feel or think and after that you can earn some money for that for living a life, but some groups only play for money. I love groups that are not so well known and that play well, they are the example for young people who want to form a group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've known KOL since a long time and every new album they're getting better. The album of last year,with songs like 'Use Somebody' or 'Sex on Fire' had lots of fans and personally were one of the songs that I loved to listen last year. This knew album is like returning to their past,but I think that it's a good idea, and i agree with Julian that nowadays many comercial music like nelly Furtado or Hannah Montana are gaining more popularity than any others that work on their albums and are much more talented than the rest. This new album includes songs like 'Radioactive' which I recommend to be heard.
    Long live Kings of Leon!!

    Pedro Balaña

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have known this group always for their song "sex on fire" and even though it isn't the type of music I normally listen to, I think they have great songs. It has been a very long time since I last heard of them and now I am glad to know that they are playing again! They were higly acclaimed in those times and now they are searching again for success, which is very positive!

    Personally, I agree with Julian in the fact that they are a great example of young bands who start being anonymous and keep growing as time passes by, which is a sign of effort and hard work. This group has gained their fame progressively and I think they should be admired by many people! The song posted by Jack is quite interesting, but I rather prefer the album "use somebody", as I consider the new album too calm. However, overall the song is not at all bad!

    ReplyDelete

Please:
1. write your text in WORD or similar
2. check spelling and punctuation (using WORD)
3. paste the final version here

Remember:
1. copy before you paste - blogger doesn't always load
2. you won't be able to post videos etc in comments
3. links will have to be cut and pasted from your browser

Thanks a lot.