Tuesday 9 October 2012

I'm not an adrenaline junkie!

Who are you trying to kid, Felix?  
On Tuesday, due to high winds, Felix Baumgartner was frustrated in his attempt to skydive from 23 miles up in space down into the earth's atmosphere and (hopefully) onto the New Mexico desert. No doubt, we'll soon hear that he'll be going ahead once the weather is favourable.

If the jump goes well, he'll break a new world record: the first human to break the sound barrier. If it goes badly, his skin will boil. And then there's the small question of his maintaining consciousness and his parachute opening properly.

Still, Felix insists that he's in this for the challenge of planning - not for the adrenaline rush. He should be happy then: with the help of Red Bull, he has spent five full years planning this event (as well as undisclosed millions). It has to be one of the most expensive publicity stunts ever. (Watch the video here.)

As the man who jumped from the Kuala Lumpa skyscrapers, the Petronas Towers, Felix is used to difficult jumps. There the air currents around the building were treacherous and the time to open the chute very short. This time the challenge is quite different.

No doubt, once in the past, someone said casually, "Well, the sky's the limit." And you know what? Felix must have turned round and said, "No, it isn't!"

  • What, for you, is the limit? What's next on the tick-list of crazy records?
  • What, for you, is the most amazing stunt you've come across?
  • What, for you, is your personal challenge?

3 comments:

  1. I’m glad you dedicate a post to such a matter of public interest.
    Felix Baumgartner has obviously proved to be an excellent and highly skilful parachutist. We just have to check his impressive record to deduce this. However, the ‘Stratos’ mission was probably not designed (and soon executed) just to prove mans limits. Actually, Baumgartner’s jump is from an ‘achieving’ point of view not vastly significant. In 1960, Joseph Kittinger jumped from a height of 31.3 kilometres, roughly 5 kilometres less than Baumgartner’s scheduled jump. In my opinion, this proves that the ‘Stratos’ mission is not revolutionary, but an excellent way to publicize Red Bull before the eyes of the world.
    I’m in no way saying that this mission is not exhilarating, but simply that it is not an accomplishment of mankind. Clearly, I was not surprised that the ‘Stratos’ mission was more discussed than the Nobel prizes, whose laureates are being communicated these days.
    I personally don’t enjoy ‘adrenaline rushes’ very much, but I’ve certainly encountered several bloodcurdling situations throughout my life. The last I can recall was jumping from a tall rock to the sea. I remember the suspension in the air endless!
    My main personal challenge is to achieve my dream of becoming a respectable physician and researcher, and to dedicate my life working on my favourite topic: medicine.
    In relation to what you said, Ian, the human mind is limitless, but hard work, enthusiasm and a reasonable dose of aptitude are key factors to reach the sky. Of course, professional success is not a priority to many people, but have in mind that an average citizen spends almost a third of their life working, so it’s probably a good idea to spend this time on something that fulfils you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. “The Red Bull Stratos team brings together the world’s leading minds in aerospace medicine, engineering, pressure suit development, capsule creation and balloon fabrication. It includes retired United States Air Force Colonel Joseph Kittinger, who holds three of the records Felix will strive to break.”
    This is what is said about the mission, from here we can draw some conclusions. Felix isn’t doing this for himself; he is doing it in order to advance technologically. Within this mission are to test hundreds of new systems, which will lead into progress. If tomorrow in the second attempt Felix jumps and dies (hopefully he won’t) his death won’t be in vain. We will learn from the mistakes we’ve made in order to improve, to be better.
    Limits? Why define a limit? So you can set a new one? No thanks.
    Once you set a limit a new one can be set, just a little higher, and then another one, and so on. I believe that there is no need for them. Work harder, train for what you want until you can’t think of anything else, but don’t set a limit.
    But as few people share my opinion and do set limits, I think the next crazy record will be Mars. People are already working for it, so it’s just a matter of time. We shall wait and see what’s next.
    I’ve also experienced the endless suspension in the air when you jump from a tall rock to the sea, but I actually enjoy rushes. You feel detached from your problems in those situations. You feel free of any expectation; it’s a great way to disconnect from the world and come back prepared for new stuff you may encounter.
    My personal challenge, I’m not sure what to answer. Yes I have my study plans, but life is much more. My personal challenge isn’t about what I get to work as in the future, it’s about the rest, I want to visit the world, do crazy things I now can’t even imagine me doing. I want to grow old and be able to look back with no regrets. That’s my personal challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news to see a post about such an incredible man! isn't it fantastic? someone so brave to jump out of a balloon about 38 km up into the sky? Felix has been the great attraction of the world since then and beated speed and distance world records... Fantastic money inversion for Red bull do you agree? I am looking forward for his next jump to try and beat the time record, let's see what is the limit off this genius.

    ReplyDelete

Please:
1. write your text in WORD or similar
2. check spelling and punctuation (using WORD)
3. paste the final version here

Remember:
1. copy before you paste - blogger doesn't always load
2. you won't be able to post videos etc in comments
3. links will have to be cut and pasted from your browser

Thanks a lot.